Take one Canadian girl in les Alpes.
Add the ups & downs of living in France.
Cover with melted cheese...
Et voilà !

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Frenglish: Bun's

How often do I have to remind my students of the rules about apostrophe "s" to show possession?  
Way too often.

So imagine my horror when I spotted this in the frozen-food section of our supermarket:

Posted by Picasa

Seriously?  "Bun's"??!! 

(Also, France has a bakery on practically every corner.
Why somebody would choose this microwave-able atrocity 
over a still-warm-from-the-oven brioche is beyond me.)

The mind.  It boggle's.

5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. How I despise the misuse of apostrophes! And seriously? Frozen "sweet bun's" over freshly baked brioche? Sacrilege. Of course if you're willing to overlook that apostrophe, you're probably not very discerning about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear it seems you and Erin are alike in this hate of misuse! I am seriously scared that I put them in the wrong place by not just Erin but my husband who is driven insane by it too. I will be sure to be on me guard with my comments to you now too! Hee hee
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Write a letter to McCain's and complain! Aren't they Canadian, for heaven's sake? They should be able to use proper English and French on the labels. Did you take a photo of the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce?

    Happy Thanksgiving. Have fun at Camille and Charles' house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je pense qu'il y tout autant a rire des traductions americaines relatives a la nourriture francaise / restaurants dits Francais.....bref soyons un peu indulgent avec ceux qui font l'effort de traduire.

    Anonyme de Nouille-orc

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...